Drugs and Frankenstein


          I chose to do some research on romanticism and how Shelley incorporates it in her novel, “Frankenstein”. The use of romanticism that piques my interest the most is the juxtaposition of both the beautiful and the grotesque. I’m excited to see how she illuminates the beauty in something that others would find difficult to admire. An inference of mine is that she creates the complex character, Frankenstein, and much to our surprise, he may have beautiful aspects to him.

     This type of romanticism, glorifying things that are taboo,  reminds me of a tv show called Euphoria. It focuses on the highs and lows of hard drug use in the life of teenagers. At first glance one may think the writers do a good job of demonstrating the pain drug use instills in the life of the addict and their family; however, the “euphoric” moments displayed trump the detrimental moments. This type of romanticism is dangerous because when young adults watch these scenes where people their age are experiencing this utter bliss, they may think their emotional pain can be fixed by these intense, hallucinative drugs. Much like in Frankenstein, the creators of “Euphoria” compare the good and the ugly within a character/lifestyle

 

Comments

  1. Interesting connection here! I was told that this was a really interesting show...I also didn't immediately think of it as Gothic. If I ever get around to watching it I will have to watch out for these things

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a great post! I really liked how you connected Frankenstein and it's romanticism to something modern and you made some really great connections between the motifs in both subjects!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts