My Vanishing Half

I can't imagine what it's like to have a twin but the closest person in my life is my sister, Anna. Reading this book kind of terrified me of the future because I never want to lose my sister the way that Desiree lost Stella. I want our kids to be best friends and I want to be in each other's lives. College is coming closer and closer and I know I need to go away so I can learn how to live alone and prepare myself for my future. The college I'm most interested in is across the country and if I choose this school, my sister and I will be separated. A part of me is genuinely concerned that something like this could happen between us. What if we both start our new lives and leave the other one behind? What if we forget the memories we shared and the laughs we've had? On the other hand, a part of me knows we need to grow away from our childhood home. We need to find the best area for us and find our way without the comfort of each other. My mom and her sister have an age gap of 10 years. They more recently rekindled their friendship and my sister and I promised we would never let the distance between us affect our friendship. Desiree still wondered if she should call her twin Stella when their mother died. They never fixed their friendship in the end. This unhappy ending genuinely disappointed me and enhanced the fear of losing my sister. All I wanted was to jump at Stella and tell her that what she was doing was wrong and was hurting everyone around her, including her self. I can't guarantee anything but I will do everything I can to preserve the connections I have with my family and friends and to never forget them. 

Comments

  1. Love your honesty within your post. This is something many people can relate to including me. And you described the feeling in such specific accuracy. Don’t worry that twin flame spark won’t burn out with such a special bond, like the one you described. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am very connected to my sister and I know with me moving away for college it’s going to be a very difficult transition for her as she is younger. I appreciate your connection to self and as I read your post I am able to relate through that as well. I also read the Vanishing Half and depicting the sisters story to your own life was a strong use of this blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to echo what Areej said--your vulnerability makes your posts so interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts